We are looking for an enthusiastic individual interested in joining a multidisciplinary computational genomics lab to develop and implement software for genome analysis, annotation and data management as part of ongoing genome database projects, including the Bovine Genome Database. The primary responsibilities for this position are to 1) design and develop a relational database for genotype and phenotype data, along with a database front-end web application, as part of the Bovine Genome Database and 2) contribute to the development of data mining applications for genome annotation data using the InterMine genomic database warehouse system. Other responsibilities include formatting bioinformatics data, documenting code, developing user documentation and tutorials for genome databases, and training scientists to use genome databases.
The desired candidate must have a MS in an area of computational sciences or bioinformatics by the time of appointment.
Candidate will be evaluated on:
• Experience in programming related to bioinformatics
• Expertise in Python, Javacript, Perl, and MySQL or another RDBMS
• Ability/desire to rapidly learn other coding languages as needed
• Experience in database and web application development
• Experience working with genomic and genotypic data
• Working knowledge of common bioinformatics tools and publicly available DNA sequence databases
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong problem-solving skills
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
• Ability to multitask