As a junior lecturer, you will contribute to the Wageningen University Bioinformatics Group’s education efforts. You will help deliver, organize, and innovate our teaching, with room for contributions to research. Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- teaching a number of existing courses that fit your specific expertise, innovating courses when needed and setting up new courses when possible, always in collaboration with other group staff members
- serving as the focal point for organizing the group’s educational efforts
- keeping up-to-date with university education organization
- representing the group in education working groups
- organizing thesis student intake etc.
As we believe academic education should be linked to research, you will also have time (20%) to maintain your own research line and/or contribute to those of other staff members, for example through joint supervision of MSc/PhD students.
This tenure track position offers the opportunity to develop a career in education in bioinformatics, data science and machine learning, closely connected to state-of-the-art research. You will work in Wageningen together with staff highly engaged in education, part of a group with ~30 postdocs and PhD students and ~20 MSc students working in an open, relaxed atmosphere. If you do not yet have a university teaching qualification (UTQ), you will be supported in obtaining one and be encouraged to seize opportunities to develop yourself further.
Are you interested in joining our team? We look forward to your application.
You are a junior academic with an interest in developing a career in teaching, education innovation and research, with a focus on bioinformatics and data science/machine learning in the green life sciences. You also possess:
- a PhD degree in bioinformatics, computational biology or closely related field
- demonstrable education skills and experience in teaching university courses, supported by a vision on education
- programming skills (at least Python), fluency in Linux command-line use and experience with the use of -omics data analysis tools
- experience in education innovation and organization (also at the study programme level) are not essential, but considered a bonus
- strong communication and organization skills
- curiosity, a critical attitude, and an interdisciplinary mindset
More information can be found on our website: www.wur.nl/en/vacancy/junior-lecturer-bioinformatics-and-data-science.htm
Please submit your application by May 29 through the online form on that page.