The Brito lab is seeking highly motivated, independent and creative people with dry or wet lab expertise to join our team. Our ultimate goal is to understand the specific mechanisms which bacteria in the gut elicit effects on the human body in order to get closer to diagnostics and therapeutics to treat microbiome-related disorders. Diseases of interest include colorectal cancer (CRC), systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Specific areas of interest include:
• Host-microbiome protein-protein interactions
• Single-cell transcriptomics methods of the human gut and immune system
• Predictive structural modeling of protein-protein interactions
• Functional metagenomic screening of the human gut microbiome
• Immune function in the context of human diseases
• Bacterial transcriptome methods
• Horizontal gene transfer and antimicrobial resistance (AMR)
• CRISPR screening
The Brito Lab offers a collaborative, rigorous, and fun research environment with strong integration between wet and dry labs. We have unique access to novel datasets on host-microbiome functions.We are members of the Microbiome Supergroup, the Cornell Center for Immunology, the Cornell Center for Antimicrobial Resistance, the Cornell Institute of Host-Microbe Interactions and Disease, and the Center for Vertebrate Genomics.
Qualified candidates should have:
• Degree in any of the following: Microbiology, Bio/Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, Genetics, Immunology, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, or a related field;
• Strong publication record and excellent communication skills; and
• Independence, creativity, and ability to work well with others.
Funding (NIH, NSF etc.) is currently available to support postdoctoral scholars. Job comes with competitive salary and generous benefits! External fellowships are welcome, but not required. If interested, we are associated with the following fellowship programs:
• Schmidt AI for Science Postdoc Fellowship (AI, machine learning. This is a new very prestigious and well-paid opportunity!) The website is not yet available.
• Cornell Institute of Host-Microbe Interactions and Disease (CIHMID) Postdoctoral Fellowship
• Atkinson Postdoctoral Fellowship (sustainability research including AMR)
• Cornell University Research Excellence Scholars (CURES) Fellowship
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty, and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
How to apply
Please send your CV, a brief description of your research interests and names and contact info of three references to: Ilana Brito (firstname.lastname@example.org).