The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida. With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe. The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
Are you interested in being a key member of a bioinformatics team in a shared resource at a major cancer center? This Associate Scientist position will support a wide array of bioinformatics research services in the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center (SCCC) Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Shared Resource (BBSR) at the University of Miami. The Associate Scientist (Bioinformatician) will provide up to date bioinformatics and molecular informatics data analysis and expertise for clinical, laboratory and epidemiological studies. This analysis includes but is not limited to: gene expression analysis for transcriptome profiling and/or gene regulatory network building, microRNA target analysis, variant calling, epigenetics data preprocessing and analysis, SNP functionality and pathway analysis, and its visualization. This position will collaborate with Cancer Center investigators on experimental design and subsequent high dimensional data analysis of gene expression, genomics and/or proteomics studies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Individual will be responsible for initiating and maintaining independent research collaborations with SCCC clinicians and basic scientists, and for working collaboratively with members of the division on research or development projects.
• Collaborates with Cancer Center members in planning and analyzing data from laboratory-based and epidemiologic investigations.
• Collaborates with Cancer Center members in developing cancer-related grant proposals. Carries out and/or supervises corresponding data analysis.
• Interacts with internal contacts such as principal investigator, research project team, clinicians and data processing and management staff to provide the statistical input required in the design, conduct and analysis of scientific research studies.
• Collaborates with Cancer Center members on writing manuscripts or publication, and in preparing abstracts and poster for scientific presentation.
• Stays current with new bioinformatics methodology applicable to cancer studies, and incorporates major useful advances into proactive.
• Supports the BBC Biostatistics Division and other members of the core on bioinformatics aspects of Cancer Center research-related to clinical trials, epidemiologic studies, and laboratory-based investigation.
• Other duties as assigned.
A Ph.D. degree or equivalent experience, with a minimum of 5 years of post-doctoral experience with bioinformatics and molecular informatics data analysis in support of basic, translational, clinical, and/or epidemiological studies. Must enjoy working with others, have initiative, and be reliable. Attention to detail and multitasking abilities are critical, with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Proficiency in R/Python programming and excellent English communication skills (both verbal and written) are required. Prefer experience with statistical and computational methodology development with application in genomics studies, with single-cell RNA/DNA sequencing and metagenomics data analysis, with integrative multi-omics data analysis, and spatial genomics data analysis. Prefer strong critical thinking and problem solving skills with proven ability to apply creative approaches to complicated questions.
For more information or to apply for this position, please go to:
Full Job Posting: umiami.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UMCareerStaff/job/Miami-FL/Associate-Scientist--Bioinformatician-_R100054919-1
Job Posting Contact: Yuguang Ban, firstname.lastname@example.org