Full-TIme, 2 Year Contract
Salary Range: $80,000 - $95,000 AUD
At the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI), we are committed to achieving innovative, ground-breaking health and medical research that fundamentally improves the quality of life for all people.
The South Australian Genomics Centre (SAGC) (www.sa-genomics.com.au/index.php) is a multi-institutional, national genomics and bioinformatics facility that is supported by Bioplatforms Australia (BPA) through the Australian Government’s National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy (NCRIS). The SAGC has consolidated genomics and bioinformatics expertise in the state, with a group of ~10 genomics and bioinformatics staff working side-by-side to deliver innovative genomics and bioinformatics solutions across all areas of genomics research, including agriculture, healthcare and ecology.
An exciting opportunity now exists for an entry level post-doctoral researcher or experienced MSc-level bioinformatician to join the SAGC bioinformatics team. To flourish in this role, you will need to be able to work across multiple different projects and to possess excellent organisational and time-management skills.
This role is primarily responsible for conducting bioinformatics analyses on a wide variety of client projects with varying levels of complexity. You will have a varied and interesting workload across projects in different biological disciplines.
There are significant opportunities for professional growth and development through exposure to data sets from different genomics technologies. Staff are expected to enable research by leading the development of reproducible, standardised pipelines for genomics data analysis and, where necessary, new methods and pipelines. Your career development will be supported and you will be encouraged to publish your research and to collaborate on major funding applications to NHMRC, ARC or MRFF.
You will also be supported to develop your bioinformatics capabilities; ensuring that the SAGC can remain at the forefront of genomics. It is expected that you will have interest in and develop your capabilities in at least one specialist area of bioinformatics.
About the role
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide end-to-end bioinformatics analysis support to SAGC clients
- Develop reproducible analytical workflows with a view to improve internal efficiencies as well as client experiences
- Contribute to/or lead the drafting of reports and publications
Everything we do is underpinned by our core values and our institute is dedicated to grow a culture that pursues, enables and demands research excellence. We are proud of the work we do and work hard as a team to make a positive difference to the community. Our values of excellence, innovation, courage, integrity and teamwork are what help us achieve our goals. If these are also your values and goals, apply today.
For the safety and wellbeing of our employees and our community you will need to comply with SAHMRI’s Immunisation Policy which includes, wherever possible, that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Please contact us if you have any queries specific to your circumstances.
The South Australian Genomics Centre are also advertising two other roles:
- SAHMRI | Bioinformatician/Computational Biologist: sahmri.org.au/careers-and-study/working-at-sahmri/vacancies/bioinformatician-computational-biologist
- SAHMRI | Postdoctoral Bioinformatician in Single Cell and Spatial Omics Data Analysis: sahmri.org.au/careers-and-study/working-at-sahmri/vacancies/postdoctoral-bioinformatician-in-single-cell-and-spatial-omics-data-analysis
The successful candidate will possess the following key attributes:
- MSc, PhD, or equivalent experience, in either bioinformatics, computer science, physics, statistics or other relevant discipline
- Prior experience with at least one of the following scripting languages: bash, R, Python and Perl
- Have a broad understanding of at least two of the following areas and a significant interest in developing a deep understanding in at least one:
- Transcriptomics: bulk RNAseq, scRNAseq, spatial transcriptomics,
- Genomics: variant, haplotype and diversity analysis, genome assembly, metagenomics, epigenetics
- DevOps: version control: test driven development and continuous integration, containerisation using Docker/Singularity
- Systems biology: multi-omics data integration, network analysis
- Statistics: linear models, ANOVA, hypothesis testing
- Visualisation: data visualisation and User Interface/Experience design
- Workflow systems: Snakemake and/or Nextflow
- Other Omic's technology: metabolomics, proteomics
Start your application online at aurecruitment.actionhrm.com/myrecruit/newApplicationWizard.htm?pc=4sXeVnEiKti14meEA1HzLgxx
View the full position description at sahmri.blob.core.windows.net/human-resources/SAGC_Bioinformatics%20Officer_FINAL.pdf
For more information view the vacancy on our website sahmri.org.au/careers-and-study/working-at-sahmri/vacancies/bioinformatics-officer
Applications close 11:29pm ACST Tuesday 31 May 2022