The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the University of Connecticut (UConn) seeks applications for a non-tenure track Assistant Research Professor position with expertise in Data Science. The position has a preferred start date of August 23, 2021, and is based in Stamford, Connecticut. Stamford and its surrounding region has among the highest density of data science/analytics jobs and companies in the United States.
The University of Connecticut, with additional funding from the state, is embarking on a unique and innovative multi-year data science initiative in Stamford (see stamforddatascience.com). The initiative itself is comprised of three primary components: 1) the establishment of a data science technology incubator built as an extension of UConn’s technology incubation program (TIP), the largest and most successful tech incubator in Connecticut (innovation.uconn.edu), 2) the creation of the Stamford Startup Studio, a yearlong entrepreneurial co-op experience for extremely motivated and talented undergraduates, and 3) a cluster hire of five cutting-edge data science faculty researchers spanning four colleges/schools at UConn. The components of the initiative will integrate tightly with students; and startups alongside top data science researchers, thus building a foundation to support both the mission of the institution and the continued economic development of the state. The position emphasizes research and application—no teaching is required—and is situated in a newly updated Class A office building across the street from the UConn Stamford campus (co-located with UConn’s data science incubator).
Suitable areas of research include, but are not limited to:
Statistics and Big Data analytics, Bioinformatics, Economics, Geosciences, Geospatial sciences, Psychology, Sociology or related fields.
For the full job ad please visit: academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/18357
- Ph.D. in Data Sciences or core academic discipline with data science emphasis
- The ability to secure independent funding
- Evidence for high quality publication potential in data science
- The ability to build a successful and lasting independent research program on foundational topics in data science
- The desire and ability to work in a collaborative and dynamic environmental with a diverse team evidenced through prior projects
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Prior industry or entrepreneurial experiences/collaborations
- Prior involvement in securing research funding (from government sources, private foundations, or industry partnerships)
- A publication record demonstrating skills in computing and statistical methods and algorithms in a domain of choice
- Evidence of serving as a mentor to students and/or as an advisor to businesses, or organizations
- Experience with technology commercialization (such as, but not limited to securing patents, startup formation, etc.)
- Desire to be a part of an experimental cohort of energetic and ambitious data science research faculty who come from different disciplines, but together can contribute to substantive paradigm shifts
-An existing professional social media presence
please apply online at academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/18357