BenevolentAI unites technology with human intelligence to re-engineer drug discovery and deliver life-changing medicines. We have developed the Benevolent Platform®, a drug discovery platform built on powerful data foundations with state of the art machine learning and AI technology. Our technology empowers scientists to decipher the vast and complex code underlying human biology, find new ways to treat disease and personalise medicines to patients. Benevolent has active in-house R&D drug programmes in disease areas such as neurodegeneration, immunology, oncology and inflammation and has research and commercial collaborations with leading pharmaceutical and research organisations. The company is headquartered in London with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and a further office in New York.
Who we are
We are an eclectic bunch at Benevolent, united by our belief that innovative thinking and purposeful technology can truly change outcomes for the better. Our mission is to re-engineer drug discovery and deliver life-changing medicines for patients in need and we do this by applying AI, machine learning and other advanced technologies to reinvent the ways drugs are discovered and developed. We strive to bring together unique skills and perspectives across biology, chemistry, engineering, AI research, informatics, precision medicine and drug discovery.
The Informatics and Data team is focused on applying bioinformatics techniques to drug discovery and precision medicine. We are keen to hear from experienced Bioinformaticians and Data Scientists, with a passion and proven track record of integrating and analysing biomedical datasets, to join the growing Biomedical Informatics department. You will find yourself working as part of a cross-functional team supporting BenevolentAI’s data integration, target identification and precision medicine activities.
The Precision Medicine team is applying state of the art AI models to multi-omics data in order to simultaneously identify drugs targeting disease-relevant biological mechanisms and the cohort of patients who might benefit from these treatments. As a Senior Bioinformatics Scientist in the team, you will contribute to this challenge with your technical and biological knowledge, providing guidance to other members of the team and implementing the tools needed for the precision medicine activities.
- Processing, integrating and analysing biomedical datasets for biological insights that lead to testable hypotheses relevant to Drug Discovery and Clinical Development programmes undertaken by BenevolentAI.
- Developing programmatic tools and workflows that automate the analysis of biomedical datasets
- Working as a member of a cross-functional team, that brings together the best in class Informatics, AI, Engineering, Drug Discovery and Product capabilities to tackle the scientific challenges BenevolentAI is looking to find solutions for
- Providing the bioinformatics expertise needed to analyse patient-level data coming from transcriptomics or other ‘omics modalities.
- Designing and developing programmatic tools for downstream analysis, validation and biological interpretation of the results of AI models applied to patient data.
We are looking for someone with
- A PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology or related field of research.
- 3+ years experience (preferably industry), integrating and analysing ‘omics and biomedical datasets to directly support Drug Discovery activities using state of the art computational methods.
- A strong external network of contacts across industry and academia to engage in ideas and knowledge share.
- Excellent communicator, both verbal and written, with the ability to influence at all levels and across all departments.
- Expert programmer in at least one language. We have a preference for Python, but are also interested in R and Java. Candidates should also be familiar with the language packages that support Bioinformatic, Data Science and Machine Learning activities.
- Experience in using technologies we like, which include: Neo4j, GraphQL, BigQuery, ElasticSearch, MySQL, MongoDB, Spark, GitLab, Kubernetes, AWS, Jupyter.
- Experience with using patient-level ‘omics datasets and biomolecular network based approaches to aid drug discovery or clinical biomarker development.
- Experience in designing experiments to generate data and gain insights into the molecular behaviour of cellular assay systems or patient derived tissues would be considered beneficial.
- Familiarity with health resources including genetics and phenotype information related to patients, such as the UK Biobank.
Please feel free to reach out directly to Lauren (firstname.lastname@example.org) or apply via the website.