The global Scientific Computing team at Vertex are seeking a highly motivated computational scientist to lead delivery of software and data solutions supporting these rapidly expanding cell and genetic therapy efforts. The remit includes end-to-end responsibility for software and data platforms for the new Vertex Cell and Genetic Therapies research site. This includes everything from engaging with scientists and Scientific leaders to define requirements, coordinating across user groups through to leading delivery of software.
The Principal Genomic Solutions Engineer will have extensive experience building and delivering exploratory and production software in a scientific or research environment. The successful candidate will be highly communicative, thrives in a collaborative environment, and is eager to identify bold and innovative ways of helping scientists and scientific partners solve key data challenges.
• Build strong relationships with key stakeholders, including scientific leadership and lab scientists, across the new Cell and Genetic Therapies research site, and ensure tight alignment of solutions with business strategy
• Develop in-depth understanding of strategic and operational requirements driven by research objectives
• Define a comprehensive computing strategy for the new site, in partnership with colleagues in Scientific Computing, Engineering and Research
• Collaborate with Research leadership to develop short and long-term technology roadmap for genetic and cell therapies
• Partner with software and data engineering teams to define and build the data and analytics platform supporting Research activities for the site
• Work collaboratively to ensure solutions are interoperable with related tools and systems used by Vertex’s computational groups, such as Computational Genomics and Computational Chemistry
• 8+ years of Software Development/architecture experience or equivalent
• 12+ years of combined/related experience
• Experience in development, testing, and delivery of production-quality software
• Expertise in Linux/Unix environments
• Experience designing, building and delivering data processing and analysis workflows with large-scale data in a scientific environment (academic or industry)
• B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in computer science, computational biology, bioinformatics, or a related field
• Strong communication skills (both written and verbal)
• Experience leading/managing technical teams
• Experience developing software for the cloud (AWS) and fluency with cloud services
• Familiarity with statistical modelling of scientific data and related software (e.g., R)
• Experience in developing analysis pipelines for Genomic and related scientific data.