BioMed X Innovation Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 515, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
About BioMed X
The BioMed X Innovation Center is an exciting collaboration model at the interface between academia and industry. At our center, distinguished early career scientists recruited from all over the world are working jointly on novel pre-clinical research projects in the fields of biomedicine, molecular biology, cell biology, and diagnostics. These interdisciplinary project teams are conducting groundbreaking biomedical research in an open innovation lab facility on the campus of the University of Heidelberg, under the guidance of experienced mentors from academia and industry while expanding their scientific network.
About Team BMP (Brain Microcircuits in Psychiatric Diseases)
The main aim of the team, headed by Dr. Michal Slezak, is to understand biological correlates of phenotypes related to human psychiatric diseases. Using advanced behavioural, genetic and physiological approaches combined with computational methods we identify genes underlying glial dysfunction and we use this knowledge to rescue disease-related phenotypes.
We are offering a senior postdoctoral position for an enthusiastic researcher to broaden our think-tank. The ideal candidate has a PhD in bioinformatics, a proven track record evidenced by prior publications and is capable of independent thinking. The main responsibilities include:
• Statistical analysis of data obtained from cell type- and brain-region-specific gene expression data from rodent models and human brain samples, as well as cell cultures differentiated from patient-specific induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC);
• Integration of data from these distinct models with public databases, to validate original findings in the context of the cell type, brain region and disease (e.g. GSEA);
• Pathway analysis to conclude genetic networks and signaling pathways affected by a disease state or targeted genetic manipulation (e.g. IPA);
• Contribution to the design of experimental strategies to translate the results of transcriptional surveys to phenotypic studies;
• Collaboration with bioinformatics experts of the industry partner, Boehringer Ingelheim.
• Monitoring the field of psychiatric research for novel methods and pathways of interest;
• PhD in the area of bioinformatics, computational biology, systems biology or similar
• Knowledge in statistical methods in the context of biological systems
• Prior experience with RNAseq analysis
• Advanced programming skills in R and/or Python
• Independent and creative thinking
• Very good work organization skills
• Experience to work in interdisciplinary teams
• Excellent communication skills in English
Additional preferred skills
• Experience in analysis of NGS data in the context of neuroscience
• Experience in high-throughput screening methods
• Experience in mining, integration and analysis of high-throughput datasets
Candidates are requested to submit
• 1-page cover letter explaining the reasons of interest to join our team
• Curriculum Vitae outlining scientific interests, research achievements, a record of publications, future personal goals and extra-scientific passions
• 1- 2 reference letters
What we offer
The post is offered for a limited term until 31 July 2020.
BioMed X is a multidisciplinary and international research institution with a very collegial and flexible working environment. As part of the remuneration package we offer a competitive salary, access to training and lecture courses in house as well as in neighboring research institutions on the Life Science Campus in Heidelberg. Team recognition events, such as our annual two-day retreat, joint luncheons and after work events, a Summer and a Christmas party are just some of the other perks our fellows enjoy.
The position is sponsored by Boehringer Ingelheim.
The position is available immediately. Please submit your application to the attention of Dr. Michal Slezak before 15th April 2019 via our online application system: apply.bio.mx/job/2019-J04. Applicants will be interviewed upon incoming documents, hence please get in touch as soon as you decide to apply.
BioMed X Innovation Center
Im Neuenheimer Feld 515
Please upload your application at apply.bio.mx/job/2019-J04