Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what's possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
[SENIOR SCIENTIST, TRANSLATIONAL BIOINFORMATICS, ONCOLOGY BIOMARKER DEVELOPMENT]
We seek a highly motivated Senior Scientist within Development Sciences to support biomarker development efforts focusing on Genentech's Oncology pipeline. The incumbent will apply advanced data analysis skills in collaboration with a group of biomarker scientists to perform translational oncology research, and execute on predictive and pharmacodynamic biomarker strategies for programs in clinical development.
For this particular position, we are seeking a demonstrated scientific leader with at least five years of post-doctoral experience, and a consistent and outstanding record of creativity and performance in cancer biology and bioinformatics or biostatistics, evidenced by peer reviewed publications in top tier journals, patent applications, or regulatory filings. The successful candidate is expected to effectively represent the department by leading and influencing cross-functional molecule and diagnostic development teams; applying advanced analytic methods on massive, integrated clinic-genomic data sets to support innovative clinical development programs and publications; interacting with key partners and investigators; and promoting collaborative efforts to advance computational biomarker sciences.
As a Senior Scientist, you are expected to:
• Drive application of advanced analytic techniques, including machine learning, to extract disease biology insights and identify biological targets from large clinico-genomic biomarker datasets
• Actively promote scientific and technical innovation collaboratively with other members of the Department
• Support development and execution on lead and exploratory biomarker strategies for multiple clinical development projects
• Direct and support publications in high quality scientific, technical or medical journals
• Represent the department and biomarker teams externally through interactions with our key investigators
• Effectively manage internal and external scientific collaborations
• Participate and thrive in an interactive, team oriented culture
• PhD degree in a relevant scientific field (e.g. molecular biology, cancer biology, genomics, or bioinformatics)
• Minimum of 5 years postdoctoral experience in basic or translational cancer genomics research either in an academic and/or industry setting
• Outstanding statistical and bioinformatics programming skills (e.g., using R or Python) and familiarity with the Unix operating system. Experience with Bioconductor is preferred.
• Proven experience analyzing and interpreting integrated, high throughput genomic data, including whole exome, whole transcriptome, and single cell next generation sequencing
• Knowledge and understanding of current methods used to assess tumor biology in the clinical setting, and experience with publicly available molecular oncology data sets
• Experience in clinical drug development is beneficial, including understanding of critical development functions, e.g., biomarker development, clinical pharmacology, regulatory, safety, operations, and biostatistics
• Familiarity with machine learning and systems biology tools would be highly advantageous
A Job with Benefits Beyond the Benefits
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the link above.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.
To apply today, click on the URL at the top.