The mission of the Center for Molecular Oncology (CMO) is to promote precision oncology through genomic analysis to guide the diagnosis and treatment of cancer patients. The CMO brings together clinicians and scientists throughout MSKCC to conduct large-scale translational research involving molecular characterization of patient tumor specimens in order to identify correlations between genomic features and clinical outcomes.
As a Computational Biologist / Bioinformatics Analyst you will:
* Provide bioinformatics support in the development of next-generation sequencing applications to characterize the full spectrum of clinically significant genetic mutations in patient tumors
* Design, implement and operate computational pipelines for the analysis of next-generation sequencing data
* Evaluate and test third party software packages; evaluate performance of novel technology platforms and assays
* Work with experimental and computational biologists, clinical and translational research collaborators, and scientists in the MSKCC Center for Molecular Oncology
* Present results and progress updates at group meetings and make presentations to scientific and clinical collaborators
* Attend seminars, lectures, and training courses to learn new computational biology skills to remain up to date with the cancer genomics field and learn new programming languages or techniques as necessary
* Track specimen information, experimental and analysis parameters, performance metrics, and genomic results in databases
* An excellent problem-solver with the ability to analyze situations, draw conclusions, make recommendations and convey this information in a timely and proficient manner
* A person who enjoys working in a team, is self-motivated, can manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and can solve problems independently.
* Interested in the analysis of large genomic datasets and the development of new clinical technologies.
* A detail-oriented, effective communicator with an ability to build strong relationships.
* PhD with 0-2 years or Master’s degree with 2-4 years of applied next-generation sequencing bioinformatics experience
* Strong cross-disciplinary analytic skills, with broad experience in next-generation sequencing data analysis, bioinformatics methods, and database management
* Experience with the UNIX/Linux environment and cluster computing
* Advanced skills in Python (preferred), Ruby or Perl
* Strong organizational and troubleshooting abilities, attention to detail and accuracy, and excellent oral and written English communication skills
Additional Desired Qualifications
* Computational biology / bioinformatics research experience in cancer genomics
* Cloud computing experience
* Experience with R
Via website http://careers.mskcc.org/job/7137492/computational-biologist-bioinformatics-analyst-center-for-molecular-oncology-new-york-ny/ and email bic-recruit[at]cbio[dot]mskcc[dot]org. Please include #CB2018 in the subject line.