A postdoctoral position is available in Dr. Bing Zhang’s laboratory to work on pathway and network analysis with application to precision oncology. Our research is well-funded by the National Cancer Institute (NCI), the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT), and the McNair Medical Institute at The Robert and Janice McNair Foundation. We have developed several pathway and network analysis tools such as WebGestalt and NetGestalt. We are also involved in several large collaborative projects that generate multidimensional omics data at DNA, mRNA, protein, and clinical phenotype levels from human tumors, patient-derived xenografts (PDXs), and cancer cell lines. The candidate will participate in both method and tool development and biological applications, and will integrate pathway and network analysis into precision oncology discovery and practice.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to conduct research in a supportive and stimulating environment, and to collaborate with bioinformaticians, biostatisticians, computer scientists, biologists, and clinicians.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- Applies existing pathway and network analysis tools and methods to cancer omics studies.
- Researches and evaluates new methods and algorithms for integrating into our existing pathway and network analysis tools.
- Develops novel pathway and network analysis methods and algorithms.
- Publishes methods, software and application papers.
- Provides technical guidance, work direction and training to other lab members on pathway and network analysis.
- Ph. D. in bioinformatics, computer science, biostatistics, mathematics, cancer biology, or a related field.
- Experience in pathway and network analysis as demonstrated by peer-reviewed publications and/or software packages.
- Familiarity with pathway and network databases
- Familiarity with pathway and network analysis algorithms.
- Knowledge about statistics and machine learning algorithms.
- Knowledge about molecular biology and cancer biology
- Strong programming skills (R and Python/Perl/Java)
- Programming in UNIX/LINUX environment
- Strong presentation skills and written/verbal communication skills
- Experience developing R packages
- Experience with graph databases
- Familiarity with biomedical ontologies
- Knowledge about SQL, JSON, and XML
- Experience with Amazon Web Services