The newly formed Cancer Data Sciences group at the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine and UCLA Jonsson Cancer Centre is seeking a Technical Program Manager with experience in cloud based infrastructure, bioinformatics pipelines, and newly emerging software tools in order to help us perform research that will transform the lives of cancer patients.
In this role, you will work at the nexus of clinical, translational, molecular and computational research, supporting a broad team of Bioinformaticians and Software Engineers to improve our understanding and ability to treat cancer. You will support the management and execution of scalable and distributed software solutions that maximize utilization of both local high performance computer infrastructure and a growing set of cloud-based assets. Our datasets comprise several petabytes, and are growing rapidly, creating fascinating problems in storage, access, parallelization, distributability, optimization, containerization and core algorithm design.
You will use your expertise in project management, communication, design, analysis, and programming skills to create systems that improve cloud infrastructure, code quality and boost productivity of the entire team. You will typically have one or two major and several minor projects at any point in time, making appropriate prioritization, time management and reporting across these key.
We are in a rapid growth phase, and you will be involved in hiring and mentoring junior data scientists and software engineers.
UCLA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
• BS or greater in oncology, genomics or computational biology OR equivalent experience
• Practical understanding of oncology, genomics and computational biology as well as an understanding of modern genomic technologies and analysis pipelines
• Demonstrated expertise managing multiple simultaneous projects
• Practical understanding of cloud based infrastructure implementation
• Strong computer science knowledge, including software design patterns
• Formal project- and/or process-management experience or training
• Outstanding business and scientific writing and presentation skills
• Experience with strategic planning, risk-identification and risk-mitigation
• Understanding of modern computing, including Cloud, containerization, and HPC
• Knowledge of SQL and data modeling
• Working knowledge of containerization (e.g. Docker, Singularity)
• Experience developing R-based code
• Experience with machine-learning, bioinformatics and cancer or molecular biology