Computercraft seeks an enthusiastic scientist with research experience in computational biology, bioinformatics, and/or genomics with exceptional communication, writing, and teaching skills. The successful candidate will play a central role in organizing, managing, and conducting code-a-thon events sponsored by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Principal responsibilities include the following:
• Develop and deliver awesome, innovative, and cutting-edge code-a-thons in collaboration with NCBI scientific product teams and the NIH Office of Data Science
• Create and manage the NCBI schedule of code-a-thon events on topics such as genomics, bioinformatics, and data science
• Screen code-a-thon project proposals and participant applications, identify project team leads, and populate project-based teams for each event
• Network with community leaders to develop and publicize code-a-thon events and form ongoing collaborations
• Summarize and communicate code-a-thon success stories and lessons learned to NCBI, NLM, and NIH management
• Participate in and/or serve as a consultant for code-a-thons or similar events hosted by other NIH institutes, universities, or organizations
• Collaborate with NCBI/NLM staff to develop and deliver workshops and webinars on bioinformatics, cloud computing, and other data science topics
A Ph.D. in a biomedical science and teaching experience are required, along with familiarity with UNIX/Linux, GitHub, and common scripting languages such as Python. Experience with cloud computing (AWS, GCP) and bioinformatics software is strongly preferred
This is a full-time position working on site at NCBI, NIH, in Bethesda, Maryland. To apply for this position or learn about other Computercraft job opportunities, please visit the Careers section of our website: computercraft-usa.com/careers/.
Computercraft offers a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, the opportunity for a positive work–life balance with a standard 40-hour work week, and the chance to work alongside a team of highly accomplished professionals.
Computercraft is an equal opportunity employer.