Head of Computational and Structural Biology (Jupiter, FL)
Founded in November 2016, Expansion Therapeutics, Inc. is a private company focused on the discovery and development of ribonucleic acid (RNA) targeted small molecule medicines. Ribonucleic acid (RNA) is a polymeric molecule essential in various biological roles in coding, decoding, regulation, and expression of genes. Expansion is focused on expansion repeat disorders, which are responsible for over 30 neurological and neuromuscular diseases, and for which there are currently no satisfactory therapies. Our initial disease focus, myotonic dystrophy type 1 (DM1), is the most frequent cause of adult onset muscular dystrophy.
Expansion Therapeutics’ proprietary technology is based on pioneering work from the lab of Dr. Matthew D. Disney of The Scripps Research Institute Florida. In January 2018, we closed $55.3 million in Series A financing, co-led by 5AM Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Novartis Venture Fund, and Sanofi Ventures with participation from RA Capital Management and Alexandria Venture Investments. The financing will allow Expansion to advance our portfolio of novel RNA-targeted small molecule medicines to treat rare diseases.
With facilities in San Diego, California and Jupiter, Florida, Expansion Therapeutics currently employs 20 individuals in the U.S. It also has a seven-member board of directors, and seven-member scientific advisory board comprised of leaders in the field of RNA-targeted small molecule chemistry and biology, RNA folding and structural biology. Additional information about the company is available at www.expansionrx.com.
A Computational and Structural Biology Head will work closely with the Chief Scientific Officer to facilitate and lead the scientific staff in Jupiter, FL on advancing our pipeline of small molecule medicines that target RNA. The Head will oversee all aspects of structural biology and structure-based drug design. This will include solving complexes between RNA and small molecules and using this information to design compounds with improved medicinal properties.
• Provide leadership on solving complexes of small molecules interacting with RNA by using various techniques. These include docking, NMR, and x-ray crystallography.
• Provide scientific expertise in using structural models to advance small molecules into pre-clinical candidates.
• Participate in the design of computational pipelines to allow for selecting, prioritizing, and accelerating the development of candidates.
• Design, validate, and operationalize novel research techniques that are focused on structural biology.
• Integrate with the broader scientific and leadership team to ensure that Expansion meets its milestones.
• Interact and work effectively with senior management and internal research teams, especially biologists and chemists.
• Be able to re-assess decisions and reprioritize research efforts in light of new information to accelerate Expansion achieving its goals.
• A proven ability to attract, retain, lead, and inspire a strong and interconnected scientific team.
• Build and lead a highly innovative research organization which embodies a culture of open communication, collaboration, and the urgency to impact patients.
• PhD chemistry, chemical biology, or related discipline
• 8+ years of directly related industry experience with a demonstrated record of drug discovery and development within the life sciences industry by using structural biology techniques.
• Demonstrated ability to use modern techniques in rational drug design
• Thorough understanding of the entire research process
• Hands-on manager and experienced leader of other scientists and directing research projects with a proven track record of being a results-oriented leader of cross-functional teams
• Demonstrated success leading within a high growth, innovative, and rapidly changing environment
• Proven track record of fostering creativity, productivity, execution with a sense of urgency, teamwork, accountability, cross-functional collaboration, and employee growth and development
• Team builder who leads by example, employs expertise and influence to encourage collaboration across departments, levels, and groups to achieve key corporate objectives
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
Please send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org