We are looking for a researcher to join us at the Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC) at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) in Saudi Arabia. The research group, headed by Professor Robert Hoehndorf, is known for pioneering several methods that utilize formalized background knowledge for data analysis in life science. The group is developing some of the world’s leading systems for protein function prediction, finding gene-disease association, and identifying causative variants in genomic sequences.
Whom are we looking for exactly?
We are looking for researchers who have completed their Ph.D. in the past four years, or will complete their Ph.D. in the next six months, and who have an ambition to advance their academic career through world class research in bioinformatics and data science.
* Development of new machine learning models, specifically to utilize background knowledge
* Machine learning and network‐biology based analyses and data integration
* Writing of scientific reports and papers, and presenting at conferences
What can we offer?
* Exciting research projects at the interface of Artificial Intelligence and biology.
* Access to world-class compute infrastructure, including the Shaheen 2 Cray XC40 supercomputer, and dedicated machine learning systems and GPU compute clusters.
* Access to unique samples and datasets that enable us to address some of the most challenging problems in biology and medicine.
* An international, highly diverse university campus and housing by the Red Sea, with activities ranging from relaxing at the beach to golfing to diving with whale sharks.
* A competitive salary and benefits.
* Generous research funding, for travel, equipment, etc.
The position will initially be for 1 year and can be renewed up to 3 (in exceptional circumstances up to 5) years.
• A completed Ph.D. degree (in Computer Science or related), completed in the last 4 years.
• Experience in:
• Machine Learning, Data Mining, Statistics, Data Science, specifically network- or graph-based analysis methods
• Programming skills in Python, Julia, or similar languages,
• use of machine learning frameworks such as PyTorch, TensorFlow
• Strong communication skills (oral presentations and in writing)
In addition, experience in one or more of these fields is desirable:
• Semantic Technologies and Ontologies, Knowledge Representation, Formal Logic
• Methods in Bioinformatics or Biomedical data analytics
To apply, please send an email to Robert Hoehndorf (email@example.com) including a brief motivational statement and CV. Please use "Application for postdoctoral position in Biomedical Machine Learning" as subject of your email.