We are looking for a bioinformatician who will provide vital support to the [UoM Clinical Genomics Platform](research.unimelb.edu.au/centre-for-cancer-research/engage/services#clinical-genomics-platform): assisting with the flow of data through our systems, providing quality control assessments of sequencing data and helping to troubleshoot bottlenecks. You would help drive our ongoing WGS/WTS accreditation effort and be responsible for managing, analyzing and interpreting genomic data for accreditation, with corresponding documentation, and assess the DRAGEN environment using both HPC and cloud computing to improve our clinical reports. If you are interested in exploring large scale genomic data sets in a clinical setting (see [this paper](www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/623702v1) or [this poster](www.nygenome.org/bioinformatics/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/BOG-poster-20194.pdf) for typical examples) this might be the role for you. You will also have the opportunity to work with commercial partners at Illumina, AWS and Google as well as National Sequencing Initiatives to explore genomics data sharing technologies.
* MS degree or five years of experience in life sciences, bioinformatics or computer science
* Interest in quality control, data management and automation.
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and to use initiative in resolving problems and to collaborate with colleagues in a team environment.
* Ability to critically evaluate data and to communicate effectively with colleagues.
* Competency in UNIX / command line environments.
* Working knowledge of statistics.
* Experience in software development
* Abiility to connect experimental and informatics approaches to a process and understand the informatics consequences of experimental design.
* Significant knowledge of sequencing platforms including Illumina and 10X Genomics.
* Knowledge of genome databases and informatics tools.
* Expertise in drafting standard operating procedures.
* Knowledge of clinical trials or accreditation processes.
Please apply via the links provided in jobs.unimelb.edu.au/caw/en/job/899782/bioinformatician-genomic-medicine.