The Computational Biology Division (CBIO) is located at the University of Cape Town (UCT), in the Faculty of Health Sciences. CBIO is a partner in a new EU funded project whose vision is “a federated cloud enabled infrastructure making population scale genomic and biomolecular data accessible across international borders, accelerating research, and improving the health of individuals across continents”. The main purpose of this position is to address on the deliverables for the project by working with the international partners to develop and implement tools for the federated sharing of genomic data (including new algorithms and workflows), establish and implement meta data standards, assess the ethical issues associated with data sharing, and roll out a training and dissemination plan. In addition to meta data standardization, tools will be developed for healthcare interoperability and clinical applications. This post is for a Bioinformatician and is offered for a period of 4 years full time within the Division of Computational Biology.
- Knowledge of database or web development
- Experience in analysis of human genomics data
- Experience in implementing protocols for federated data sharing
- Awareness of meta data standards, human genomic data analysis and sharing tools.
- Good interpersonal, professionalism and communication skills
- Meta data curation and standardization
- Develop and implement protocols for federated data sharing with controlled access
- Development of healthcare interoperability and clinical applications
- Training and outreach
The annual cost of employment is between R443,134 and R521,333 per annum, depending on experience.
Telephone: 021 650 3003
Reference number: E19103
Closing date: 08 February 2019
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.
- Masters degree (PhD is preferable) in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Statistics or a related subject
- Experience in data management
- Programming skills
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to email@example.com
- UCT Application Form (download at forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- Cover letter, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo an assessment.